Herringbone vs. Snake Chain
Chain Style Guide: What is a Herringbone Pattern?
What does herringbone mean? The Herringbone pattern is a classic necklace chain style, consisting of a sequence of flat, short, and parallel links placed in an offset pattern. A herringbone chain necklace usually features two or more rows of interconnected chain links.
Why is it Called a Herringbone Pattern?
The herringbone pattern is so named because it resembles the skeleton of a fish called a herring. This type of chain consists of small, flat links arranged in a V-shaped pattern. The interlocking links make the herringbone chain sturdy and strong and give it a unique texture.
How Herringbone Chains are Made?
Herringbone chains are made by interlocking metal links together in a zig-zag pattern. You can make the links from any type of metal, but gold and silver are the most popular options. The thickness of the chain will depend on the gauge of the metal used to make the links. You can find herringbone chains in various lengths, but the most popular options are 18 inches and 24 inches.
Are Herringbone Chains Durable?
Herringbone chains are delicate because of their flat links. To avoid unattractive kinks in the links, herringbone chains require special care.
Can a Herringbone Chain be Fixed?
Chain Style Guide: What is a Snake Chain?
How Snake Chains are Made?
Snake chains are made by interlocking metal links together in a spiral pattern. You can make the links from any metal, but gold and silver are the most popular options. The thickness of the chain will depend on the gauge of the metal used to make the links. You can find snake chains in a variety of lengths, but the most popular options are 18 inches and 24 inches.
Are Snake Chains Durable?
Snake chains are more durable than herringbone chains. They are thicker and less likely to kink or bend out of shape, but they can still get caught on things or snagged by something sharp. Plus, snake chains are durable enough to hold charms and pendants.
What are the Different Types of Snake Chain?
The most common type of snake chain is the round snake chain, which consists of interlocking metal links that form a spiral shape. Other types of snake chains include flat snake chains, box snake chains, and cable snake chains. Round snake chains are the most popular type of snake chain because they are less likely to catch on clothing or other objects, and they have a classic look that goes well with any outfit.
The Difference: Herringbone vs. Snake Chain
How to Style: Herringbone vs. Snake Chain
Jewelry Care: Herringbone vs. Snake Chain
A. Herringbone Chains
Herringbone styles require handling with care. To keep your herringbone pieces looking their best, you should take the following steps:
- Always lay herringbone styles flat, so the flat links don't get misshapen. Herringbone chains are difficult to repair once the links are bent.
- Herringbone chains are not ideal for heavy pendants or charms, so avoid wearing them at all costs! Avoid wearing any accessories that could snag your chain and ruin its delicate design.
- Always remove herringbone chains before bed to prevent chain kinks in the herringbone pattern.
- Herringbone chains need to be arranged in a circular, interwinding pattern to prevent chain kinks when storing jewelry.
- When storing jewelry, place your herringbone necklaces in a compartmentalized jewelry box or individual soft fabric pouches to prevent scratching against each other.
- To keep your herringbone chains looking lovely, you should take them off when playing sports or working out. Sweat and saltwater can cause corrosion and rust, which will damage the links.
- Polish your herringbone chains regularly with a soft, clean cloth. This regular polishing will help remove any skin oils that can cause tarnishing.
B. Snake Chains
Snake chains require handling with care. To keep your snake chains looking their best, you should take the following steps:
- Don't break the chain. Avoid anything that could catch on your long snake chain necklace, such as loose knits or sharp objects, and cause breakage.
- Do not wear your chain when you are doing heavy labor or exercising. Sweat can affect the metal, and it could weaken the links.
- Store snake chains in a cool, dry location to prevent damage from humidity or extreme temperatures.
- Polish your snake chain regularly with a soft, clean cloth. This regular polishing will help to remove any skin oils which cause tarnishing.
- Do not use any harsh chemicals or cleaners on your snake chain. The chemicals can damage your chain and cause it to oxidize.
- When storing jewelry, it is important to place snake chains in a compartmentalized jewelry box or individual soft fabric pouches to prevent scratching against each other.