Here's what you'll learn in this post:
- WHAT IS GOLD-FILLED JEWELRY?
- THE BENEFITS OF GOLD-FILLED JEWELRY
- WHAT IS GOLD-PLATED JEWELRY?
- THE BENEFITS OF GOLD-PLATED JEWELRY
- WHAT IS GOLD TONE JEWELRY?
- THE BENEFITS OF GOLD TONE JEWELRY
Free Ground Shipping on Orders 100+
Here's what you'll learn in this post:
Gold-filled, gold-plated, and gold overlay are all types of gold jewelry. So what’s the difference?
You may have seen these terms when shopping for jewelry, but do you know what they mean? If not, let’s break down these 3 different types of gold jewelry.
WHAT IS GOLD-FILLED JEWELRY?
Gold-filled jewelry consists of a thick layer of at least 10k gold on top of base metal, such as silver, brass, etc. Gold-filled metal contains a top layer that weighs at least 1/20th of the total weight and is mechanically bonded together through intense heat and pressure.
Gold-filled pieces are great for those who want the beauty of gold without paying the higher price associated with solid gold. As the gold layer is thick, gold-filled pieces won't tarnish, fade or flake and could last 30 years. People with sensitive skin should have no problems wearing this.
1. Gold-filled jewelry has a higher gold content than most real gold alternatives.
2. Gold-filled jewelry with a sterling silver base is hypoallergenic.
3. Gold-filled jewelry is very durable. Pieces won't tarnish, fade or flake. Gold-filled jewelry can last up to 30 years with proper care.
4. Gold-filled jewelry is a great way to get the look of solid gold without paying the high price tag.
WHAT IS GOLD-PLATED JEWELRY?
Gold plating is the process of placing a skinny layer of gold over another metal, usually silver or base metals like copper and brass. These two metals are mechanically bonded together through a flash plating process. The thickness of the gold plating can vary between manufacturers but is typically around seven-millionths of an inch thick, depending on quality. A gold-plated layer can last for up to two years without requiring a replating with proper care.
Gold-plated items are less expensive than solid gold pieces but are more costly than gold-tone jewelry. Gold plating items are also a good option for those who want the shine of gold but don't want the price of solid gold or just want something not as heavy.
1) Gold-plated jewelry is less expensive than solid gold jewelry.
2) It is not as heavy as solid gold jewelry.
3) Gold-plated jewelry looks like real gold.
4) Gold-plated jewelry is strong and durable.
5) It is inexpensive to replate.
WHAT IS GOLD OVERLAY JEWELRY?
Gold overlay jewelry is an extremely popular type of jewelry made by layering 10k gold over a base metal. The most common base metals used for gold overlay are brass or nickel. A thin gold layer is applied to the base metal (usually brass or nickel) via a flash plating process to create a look similar to real gold. This thin gold layer typically weighs less than 1/20th of the total weight of the jewelry.
One of the benefits of wearing gold overlay is that it is less expensive than solid gold jewelry. Gold overlay jewelry also tends to be more lightweight than solid gold jewelry, making it more comfortable to wear.
1) Gold-tone jewelry is very affordable.
2) Gold-tone jewelry looks like real gold.
Gold-filled, gold plated, and gold overlay jewelry are all great options for those looking to add some gold into their lives. Gold-filled jewelry is the most expensive but also has the highest gold content. Gold-plated jewelry is less expensive than solid gold pieces but more costly than gold-tone jewelry. Gold overlay jewelry is the most affordable of the three and has a thinner layer of gold on top. All three types of gold jewelry are strong and durable. So, whether you're looking for something high quality with a lot of gold or something affordable that still looks great, there's a type of gold-plated jewelry for you!