HOW TO MEASURE HOOP EARRINGS
How to measure hoop earrings can be a bit tricky, but with this guide, you'll be able to find the perfect size hoops for your style.
FIRST, WHY SHOULD YOU MEASURE HOOP EARRING SIZE?
You may be wondering, "Why should I measure hoop earring size? Can't I just try them on and see if they fit?" Well, trying on hoop earrings is a good way to get an idea of their size, but it's not the most accurate method. Measuring your hoop earrings is the best way to ensure that you get the perfect fit. There are two things you need to keep in mind when measuring hoop earring size: hoop diameter and width. The diameter is the distance across the hoop, while the width is the thickness of the hoop.
1. MEASURING HOOP EARRING DIAMETER:
-A Ruler Or Measuring Tape
-A Pair Of Hoops
Hoop earring size can be measured by its 2 diameters: inner diameter and outer diameter. We suggest using inside dimensions to calculate with, as other outer measurements fluctuate depending on how thick the hoop earrings are.
1. To start, grab a ruler or measuring tape and lay it down flat, then grab your hoop earrings and place them on a ruler (with the millimeter side up) so that the bottom of the hoop rests on the zero mark.
2. Once you have your earrings in place, jot down the distance from the bottom of the inside hoop to the top; this number is the inside diameter of your earrings!
2. MEASURING HOOP EARRING CIRCUMFERENCE:
Once you have the hoop diameter, you can calculate the circumference. The circumference is the distance around the outside of the hoop. Simply multiply the hoop diameter by 3.14 (pi) to find the circumference.
If you want to get precise measurements, you can also measure the circumference of your hoops with a flexible measuring tape, simply wrap the tape around the outside of the hoop earring. Make sure that the tape is snug against the earring, but not too tight. Then, simply read the measurement on the tape.
WHY SHOULD YOU MEASURE HOOP EARRING THICKNESS?
The first and most obvious answer is because it's important to know the dimensions of your hoop earrings! If you're planning on wearing them every day, you'll want to make sure they're comfortable and not too bulky. Plus, measuring the thickness of your hoops will give you a better idea of how strong they are and how long they'll last.
But there's another reason to measure hoop earring thickness, and that's because it can affect the way they look on you. If you have thicker hoops, they'll tend to stand out more, while thinner hoops will be more subtle. And if you're undecided about what size hoop to get, measuring the thickness can help you make a decision.
3. MEASURING HOOP EARRING THICKNESS:
The thickness of hoop earring is the width of the wire, typically measured in millimeters (mm).
-A caliper, or find a ruler - preferably with millimeter markings (inches will work as well, but millimeters are more precise).
-A pair of hoops
1. Start by laying your hoop earring on a flat surface.
2. Then, take your ruler or caliper and place it on top of the hoop earring.
3. Finally, measure the distance from one side of the hoop earring to the other; this number is the thickness of your hoop earrings!
4. Remember that the average gauge for a hoop earring is about 1.5mm; however, some hoops may be thicker or thinner depending on the style.
HOW TO USE A CALIPER:
A caliper is a precision measuring tool that is used to measure the gauge on a hoop earring (or anything else). Calipers are very easy to use - place one side of the caliper on one side of the hoop and the other side on the other side of the hoop. Then, read the measurement on the caliper. This number is the thickness of your hoops!
There are many different types and styles of calipers, but they all work in essentially the same way. For example, some calipers may have digital readouts, while others will have analog dials. Either way, using a caliper to measure the thickness of hoops or hoop earring sizes is a quick and easy way to get precise measurements.
HOW TO GET AN ACCURATE READ ON A CALIPER:
If you want to get an accurate read on your caliper, there are a few things you need to do. First, make sure that the jaws of the caliper are clean and free of any debris. Then, zero out the caliper before taking your measurement. To do this, simply press the reset button on the side of the caliper.
HOW TO CONVERT MM TO INCHES
If you're not sure how to convert millimeters (mm) to inches, don't worry! It's easy to do with a little bit of math.
Here is an earring size chart for approximate millimeters to inch conversion.
-7mm = 0.28 inch
-8 mm = 0.31 inch
-9 mm = 0.35 inch
-10 mm = 0.39 inch
-11 mm = 0.43 inch
-12 mm = 0.47 inch
-15 mm = 0.59 inch
-18 mm = 0.7 inch
COMPARISON: HOOP EARRING SIZES
Use our earrings size chart as your reference, and check out the size options below to find the right hoops for you!
- 18mm hoop earrings are tiny hoops typically the size of a penny. 18mm hoop earrings are perfect for cartilage piercings and first-time hoop wearers!
- 22-24mm size hoops are tiny hoops about the size of a nickel, perfect for everyday wear.
- 26-28mm hoop earrings are about the size of a quarter, ideal for lobe piercings.
- 30-32mm hoop earrings are small hoop earrings about the size of a half-dollar.
- 35-38mm hoop sizes are small hoops about the size of a silver dollar.
- 50mm hoop earrings are approximately 1.968 inches. 50mm hoop earrings are medium hoops similar to the size of a lemon.
- 63-65mm hoop earrings measure 2.48 to 2.56 inches. 63-65mm hoop earrings are large hoops comparable to the diameter of a soda can.
- While 73-75mm larger hoops are the size of a baseball, these larger hoops are a style statement.
WHY SHOULD YOU MEASURE THE WEIGHT OF HOOP EARRINGS?
There are a few reasons why you might want to measure the weight of your hoop earrings:
- If you're planning on wearing them for an extended period of time, it's important to know how much they weigh so you can be sure that they won't cause any discomfort.
- If you're buying hoops for a special occasion, you'll want to make sure that they're the right size and weight.
- If you're simply curious about how much your hoops weigh, measuring their weight can give you a good idea of what to expect when you wear them.
Whatever the reason, here's a quick and easy guide on how to measure the weight of your hoop earrings.
HOW TO MEASURE THE WEIGHT OF HOOP EARRINGS
The weight of hoop earrings is measured in grams (g). To determine the weight of your hoop earrings, you will need a digital scale.
-A Pair Of Hoops
1. Start by turning on your digital scale and placing it on a flat surface.
2. Then, take your hoop earrings and place them on the scale.
3. The weight of your hoop earrings will be displayed on the screen in grams.
4. Keep in mind that the average weight for a pair of hoop earrings is about 10 grams; however, some hoops may be heavier or lighter depending on the style.
We hope this guide on measuring hoop earrings has been helpful! Now that you know how to get an accurate measurement, you can be sure to find the perfect hoop earrings for your next piercing or everyday look. And, don't forget to check the weight of your hoops before purchasing to make sure they're comfortable for you to wear. Happy measuring!