Everyone needs jewelry for a weekend in the Hamptons and all jewelry isn't created equal. It takes a discerning eye to find jewelry that will take you from brunch with your girlfriends on Saturday morning to cocktail hour with your husband's colleagues on Saturday night, and not leave you having to borrow jewelry from your sister-in-law every time you go out.
Here are a few guidelines for wearing jewelry in the Hamptons that will elevate your look without overshadowing it.
1) A great way to be appropriately dressed for a summer weekend in the Hamptons is to wear your hair down and with minimal makeup. Jewelry that is big and bold will take away from this subtle beauty (think, costume jewelry on reality TV stars). Entertaining is the focus not your look, not what you're wearing on your wrist. Go for smaller statement pieces, like diamond studs, that are classic in design and made of gold or silver. Flamboyant is not the look you're going for when attending a casual outdoor brunch.
2) Whether or not you realize it, if you think about Hamptons beaches, you're probably thinking of Cooper's Beach in Southampton. This is Hamptons at its finest, white sand and high dunes, and a must-see for anyone new to the area or coming back for a much-needed vacay out East.
If you are planning on going to Cooper's Beach, avoid wearing any type of jewelry that will require a lot of maintenance or is susceptible to tarnishing. Leave your jewels at home and put on a swimsuit and some sunscreen instead!
3) Headed out to eat at The Surf Lodge in Montauk? The Surf Lodge is one of the most popular restaurants in Montauk and is always buzzing with activity, especially on weekends. If you're planning on eating there, dress up a bit! Headed to the Hamptons for a glam weekend? The Surf Lodge is the place to see and be seen, so leave your casual jewelry at home for this one.
Try wearing a pair of pavé chandelier earrings or a gold cocktail ring to dress up your outfit. But avoid anything too flashy or over the top, you don't want to overshadow the amazing view.
4) Headed to Greenport? If you're spending a weekend in the North Fork, be sure to visit the charming town of Greenport. With its brick sidewalks and small-town feel, you'll feel like you've stepped back in time.
When visiting Greenport, it's important to dress appropriately for the weather and the activity. If you're going to do a lot of walking, leave the stilettos at home and go for a comfortable pair of sandals instead. And if it's a bit chilly out, put on a scarf!
Greenport is the perfect place to wear costume jewelry. With its eclectic mix of shops, you're sure to find something funky and fun to wear. So go to town and buy, buy, buy!
5) If you're looking to relax this weekend, head out East and visit the salt caves in Amagansett. The salt caves are a great way to rejuvenate your mind and body.
When visiting the salt caves in Amagansett, it's important that your skin stay protected from all the different types of salt in the air. This means that you should avoid wearing any type of metal jewelry, as it will corrode and tarnish. Instead, opt for beaded jewelry pieces instead.
6) Taking your bike on Gin Lane for some great views, biking to the Montauk lighthouse, or biking down Main Street?
Biking in the Hamptons is a must if you want to enjoy all that our area has to offer. Whether it's biking on Gin Lane, biking to see Lighthouse Beach, or biking throughout downtown Southampton; there's a bike trail for everyone.
When biking in the Hamptons, it's important being safe and dressing appropriately. This means wearing a helmet, as well as comfortable clothes that won't restrict your movement.
Leave the necklaces and bracelets at home and go for a simple watch or diamond studs instead.
7) Outfit for a Southhampton Polo match? When heading out to the Southhampton Polo Match, dress as if you were going to see a Broadway show. If you want to fit in with the toned-and-tony crowd, this means wearing a flattering dress and gold accessories. While gold is fine, avoid anything too big or flashy, you don't want to look like you're trying too hard at being a fashionista.
A gold cocktail ring or a pair of gold chandelier earrings will do the trick. And if you're really feeling the vibe, put on a gold headband too!
When in doubt, remember these guidelines for wearing jewelry in the Hamptons and you can't go wrong! Buy pieces that are timeless and won't go out of style so that you can wear them for years to come. Weekend in the Hamptons? No problem!