HERRINGBONE VS. SNAKE CHAIN
If you're looking for the perfect accessory to add a little bit of shine and style to your look, then consider adding a herringbone or snake chain. Both are timeless classics that never go out of fashion, but how do you choose between them? That's where we come in! Read on for our guide on the difference between herringbone and snake chains.
WHAT IS A HERRINGBONE CHAIN?
WHY IS IT CALLED A HERRINGBONE PATTERN?
The herringbone pattern is so named because it resembles the skeleton of a fish called a herring. This type of chain consists of small, flat links arranged in a V-shaped pattern. The interlocking links make the herringbone chain sturdy and strong, giving it a unique texture.
HOW HERRINGBONE CHAINS ARE MADE:
Herringbone chains are made by interlocking metal links together in a zig-zag pattern. A jeweler can make these links from any type of metal, but gold and silver are the most popular options. You can find herringbone chains in various lengths, but the most popular options are 18-24 inches.
ARE HERRINGBONE CHAINS DURABLE?
CAN A HERRINGBONE CHAIN BE FIXED?
WHAT IS A SNAKE CHAIN?
HOW SNAKE CHAINS ARE MADE:
ARE SNAKE CHAINS DURABLE?
WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENT TYPES OF SNAKE CHAIN?
THE DIFFERENCE: HERRINGBONE VS. SNAKE CHAIN
HOW TO STYLE: HERRINGBONE VS. SNAKE CHAIN
JEWELRY CARE: HERRINGBONE VS. SNAKE CHAIN
A. HERRINGBONE CHAINS
Herringbone styles require handling with care. To keep your herringbone pieces looking their best, you should take the following steps:
- Always lay herringbone styles flat so the flat links don't get misshapen. Remember, herringbone chains are difficult to repair once the links are bent.
- Herringbone chains are not ideal for heavy pendants or charms, so avoid wearing them at all costs! Avoid wearing any accessories that could snag your chain and ruin its delicate design.
- Always remove herringbone chains before going to bed to prevent kinks in the herringbone pattern.
- Herringbone chains must be arranged in a circular, interwinding pattern to prevent kinks when storing.
- When storing jewelry, place your herringbone necklaces in a compartmentalized jewelry box or individual soft fabric pouches to prevent scratching against each other.
- To keep your herringbone chains looking lovely, you should take them off when playing sports or working out. Sweat and salt water can cause corrosion and rust, damaging the links.
- Polish your herringbone chains regularly with a soft, clean cloth. This regular polishing will help remove any skin oils that can cause tarnishing.
B. SNAKE CHAINS
In order to keep your snake chains looking fabulous, follow these instructions:
- Avoid anything that could get caught on your snake chains and cause them to break, such as loose knits or sharp objects.
- Avoid wearing your snake chains while participating in strenuous activity or working out, as sweat can damage the metal and weaken the links.
- Keep your snake chains stored in an area that is neither too hot nor too cold and away from any humid areas to prevent damage.
- It's important to regularly polish your snake chains with a soft, clean cloth. This will help remove any oil and dirt residues which cause tarnishing.
- Avoid using any harsh chemicals on your snake chains, as they could lead to oxidization, and irreversible damage.
- To keep your jewelry in good condition, it is important to store snake chains in a compartmentalized jewelry box or individual soft fabric pouches. This will prevent them from scratching against each other.