FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT ROSE GOLD
Do you have some questions about rose gold? Well, you’ve come to the right place! This article will answer some of the most frequently asked questions about this type of gold.
FIRST, WHAT IS ROSE GOLD?
Rose gold contains pure 24 karat yellow gold, copper & silver. Pure 24 karat yellow gold is the foundation for all gold colors and qualities, but it is too soft to be used in jewelry in its natural state. To make it wearable for jewelry use, Pure 24 karat yellow gold is alloyed with other metals. Different alloys blend to produce specific colors, determining the metals used in jewelry, such as platinum, white gold, yellow gold, and rose gold.
The yellow gold-to-copper ratio determines the depth of color in rose gold. For example, in a yellow gold-to-copper ratio, the higher copper content and less yellow gold in the alloy results in a more reddish rose color. Because of the higher yellow gold content in 18K, 14K rose gold has a more rose pink color than 18 karat rose gold jewelry.
HOW ROSE GOLD IS MADE? HOW DOES ROSE GOLD GET ITS COLOR?
Rose gold is made by combining pure gold with copper & silver alloys. The amount of each metal used will determine the final shade of rose gold. As a result, you have rose gold that appears lighter than other rose gold, rose gold that appears pinker than other rose gold, and rose gold that appears redder than other rose gold pieces.
IS ROSE GOLD ACTUALLY GOLD? IS PINK GOLD REAL?
Yes, rose gold and pink gold contain a certain percentage of real gold; they have different colors because they contain varying amounts of metal alloys.
IS ROSE GOLD NATURAL?
No, rose gold is not a natural element; it is an alloy that consists of two or more metals. In the case of rose gold, it consists of pure 24 karat yellow gold with copper & silver.
WHAT KARAT IS ROSE GOLD?
The karat amount of rose gold varies with every piece.
The karat of gold is a measure of how much pure 24 karat yellow gold is present in the rose gold alloy. 24 karats equals 100% pure gold, while 18 karats equals 75% pure gold. 14 karats equals 58.3% pure gold, and 10 karats equals 41.7% pure gold.
DOES ROSE GOLD SCRATCH EASILY?
No, rose gold is not easily scratched. In fact, one of the reasons rose gold is so popular is that it is an extremely scratch-resistant metal. Rose gold is so durable because copper is so durable. While yellow gold consists of copper, rose gold typically contains more copper than yellow gold, making it a more scratch-resistant metal.
WHAT IS 18K ROSE GOLD?
18 karat rose gold is a copper-gold alloy; the percentage of gold in 18 karat rose gold jewelry is usually 75% pure gold or 18 parts out of 24 pure gold; the rest of this copper-gold alloy sometimes consists of silver.
HOW PURE IS 14 KARAT GOLD?
The purity of 14 karat gold is 58.3%, meaning that it consists of 58.3% gold and 41.7% other metals, typically copper & silver. The other metals give the gold strength and durability, making it suitable for everyday wear.
HOW IS 14K ROSE GOLD MADE?
14 karat rose gold jewelry is made by adding copper & silver to 24 karat yellow gold. Adding these metals gives the gold a pinkish color; the karat amount of rose gold varies with every piece, but 14 karat rose gold typically contains 58.3% gold.
HOW GOOD IS 14 KARAT GOLD?
The purity of 14 karat rose gold jewelry is 58.3%. This purity rating means that it consists of 58.3% gold and 41.7% other metals, typically copper & silver. The other metals give 14 karat rose gold jewelry strength and durability so that you can wear it every day without damaging the metal. 14 karat gold is a good choice for people who want gold jewelry that is durable and beautiful. It is also a good choice for people looking for an affordable alternative to 18-karat rose gold jewelry.
WHAT DOES 14 KARAT GOLD LOOK LIKE?
14 karat rose gold jewelry is yellowish; the higher the karat, the purer the gold and the more yellow the color will be. 14 karat rose gold jewelry is 58.3% pure gold, so it is not as yellow as 18 karat gold, which is 75% pure gold; however, it is still a beautiful yellow color that you can use for a variety of jewelry pieces.
HOW MUCH IS 14 KARAT GOLD PER OUNCE?
The price of 14 karat gold varies depending on the market conditions; as of July 2022, 14 karat gold is selling for around $1056.70. per ounce.
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN 14 KARAT VS. 18 KARAT ROSE GOLD?
The difference between 14 karat rose gold jewelry vs. 18 karat rose gold jewelry is the purity of the gold. 14 karat rose gold jewelry is 58.3% pure gold, while 18 karat rose gold jewelry is 75% pure gold, meaning that 18 karat rose gold is more expensive than 14 karat rose gold and has a yellower shade.
CAN YOU SHOWER WITH ROSE GOLD PLATED JEWELRY?
WILL 14K ROSE GOLD PLATED TARNISH?
14k rose gold plated jewelry can tarnish over time; however, if you take care of it and avoid exposure to harsh chemicals and water, it will last longer.
WHY DOES 14K GOLD TURN SKIN BLACK?
There are a few reasons why 14k gold may turn your skin black.
- The most common reason is that the gold is not pure. Gold is a very soft metal, so it's often mixed with other metals to make it more durable. The higher the karat number, the purer the gold. So, 14k gold is not as pure as 18k gold and is more likely to cause a greenish-black discoloration because of its copper content.
- Another reason why 14k gold may turn your skin black is that it's not been properly coated. Gold is a very reactive metal, so you properly coat it to prevent it from turning your skin black.
- It is not correctly cleaned: if the blackness on the skin is noticed after wearing the jewelry for some time, it is probably because you did not clean it correctly before being worn. Any type of grease or dirt on the gold can cause a chemical reaction that will turn the gold black. We recommend cleaning your 14k gold jewelry with warm water and mild soap to avoid this problem.
- Finally, some people have a more severe allergic reaction to gold than others. If you notice your skin turning black after wearing 14k gold, you should try switching to a different metal, such as 18k gold or platinum.
If you're unsure why your 14k gold is turning your skin black, you should consult a jeweler or other expert. They will be able to help you determine the cause and find a solution.
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN 14K ROSE GOLD VS. 10K ROSE GOLD?
The difference between 14k rose gold and 10k rose gold is purity. 14 karat rose gold jewelry is 58.3% pure gold, while 10k rose gold is 41.7% pure gold, meaning that 14 karat rose gold jewelry is more expensive than 10k rose gold.
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN ROSE GOLD AND YELLOW GOLD?
The difference between rose gold and yellow gold is the purity of the gold. Yellow gold and rose gold both contain copper, but rose gold contains a higher percentage of copper, which gives it its pinkish color; pure gold is 100% gold without any other alloys.
Yellow gold and rose gold are both beautiful, but rose gold is more unique because of its pinkish color.
HOW TO PREVENT ROSE GOLD FROM FADING?
1. Keep your rose gold jewelry away from chemicals and harsh cleaners to prevent rose gold fading. Harsh chemicals can strip away the rose gold plating, exposing the lower layers of the base metal and causing the jewelry to tarnish.
2. Store your rose gold jewelry in a dark place like a closed jewelry box or soft pouch because the UV lights from sunlight can cause rose gold to fade over time. The UV rays interact with the chemicals in the rose gold and cause it to discolor.
3. Don't expose your rose gold jewelry to extreme heat or cold. Extreme temperatures hurt rose gold by making the metal brittle and causing it to crack.
4. Take your rose gold jewelry off before you swim. The chlorine in pool water can also cause rose gold to rose gold fading. It's best to remove all jewelry before swimming, but if you're going to wear any while swimming, make sure it's not your rose gold.
5. Avoid getting your rose gold jewelry wet. Water and humidity cause rose gold to tarnish, so it's best to keep your rose gold jewelry dry. If you get your rose gold jewelry wet, dry it off as soon as possible with a soft cloth to prevent water spots.
6. Gently clean your rose gold jewelry with a soft cloth. This soft cleaning will help remove any dirt or oils that can cause rose gold to tarnish. If you need to use a cleaner, make sure it's gentle and alcohol-free to avoid damaging the rose gold.
7. Have your rose gold jewelry professionally cleaned every 12 months to a year; this will help keep it looking its best and prevent the rose gold from fading.
8. Avoid wearing your rose gold jewelry while doing household chores or other activities that could damage it. Many household cleaners contain harsh chemicals such as bleach, ammonia, chlorine, and more that can strip away the rose gold plating.
9. Don't wear your rose gold jewelry while working out or doing other activities that involve sweating. The salt in sweat can cause rose gold to tarnish. Likewise, it is best to avoid salty beach water that can have the same effect.
10. Always place your rose gold jewelry after applying lotion, perfume, or other cosmetics. These products can contain chemicals that interact with the rose gold and cause it to discolor. Make sure your skin is completely dry before putting on your rose gold jewelry to avoid this.
11. Keep your rose gold jewelry away from other metals. Other metals can cause a chemical reaction with rose gold that can discolor it. So, it's best to store your rose gold jewelry separately from other jewelry to prevent this from happening.
IS 18K ROSE GOLD GOOD?
18 karat rose gold jewelry is a good choice for people who want gold jewelry that is durable and beautiful. It is also a good choice for people looking for an affordable alternative to 24 karat gold.
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN ROSE GOLD PRICE VS. YELLOW GOLD?
There is a minimal difference in price between rose gold price vs. yellow gold, depending on the piece.
DOES ROSE GOLD HAVE NICKEL?
Some people may be allergic to nickel, and thus, rose gold may not be the best choice for them. However, rose gold does not necessarily contain nickel - it depends on the other metals used in the alloy. So, if you're looking for an alternative to traditional yellow gold that is less likely to cause an allergic reaction, rose gold may be a good option for you. Just be sure to ask your jeweler about the metals used in the alloy.
Rose gold does not usually contain nickel, but there may be some trace amounts of nickel in the metal. If you are allergic to nickel, check with a jeweler to ensure your rose gold is nickel-free.
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN PINK GOLD VS. ROSE GOLD?
Rose Gold is made with the addition of copper and silver alloys. Pink Gold has a little more silver and is a slightly softer pink than rose gold.
Rose gold is a beautiful and unique metal that is perfect for people who want something different than the traditional yellow gold. It is also a good choice for people looking for an affordable alternative to 24 karat gold. Rose gold does not usually contain nickel, but there may be some trace amounts of nickel in the metal. If you are allergic to nickel, you should check with a jeweler to be sure.
Thanks for reading!