IS GOLD-FILLED HYPOALLERGENIC?


Gold-filled jewelry is a great alternative for those who are looking for the look of gold without the high price tag. But what about those who are looking for an alternative to gold because they are allergic to it? Is gold-filled hypoallergenic?

 

FIRST, WHAT DOES HYPOALLERGENIC MEAN?


The term "hypoallergenic" means that a substance is less likely to cause an allergic reaction. Allergies result when the body's immune system reacting to a foreign substance, such as metal. When the body comes into contact with a substance that it is allergic to, it releases histamines. Histamines cause the symptoms of an allergy to appear such as redness, itching, and blisters.


WHAT MAKE GOLD-FILLED HYPOALLERGENIC?


Gold-filled jewelry consists of high-quality gold, which is less likely to cause an allergic reaction. The higher the karat of gold, the less alloy metals (that may cause an allergic reaction) contained in the mixture.


The layer of gold used in gold-filled jewelry is much thicker than the gold used in other types of jewelry, such as gold-plated jewelry. This thick layer means that there is less of the alloy base metal exposed. Because there is less exposure to the base metal, there is a lower chance of an allergic reaction.


WRAPPING UP:


We hope this article has helped to clear up any confusion you may have had about gold-filled jewelry. As you can see, gold-filled jewelry is a great option for those with sensitive skin. So, if you're looking for beautiful jewelry that won't irritate your skin, gold-filled is a great choice.