HERRINGBONE VS. SNAKE CHAIN
WHAT IS A HERRINGBONE CHAIN?
WHY IS IT CALLED A HERRINGBONE PATTERN?
The herringbone pattern is so named because it resembles the skeleton of a fish called a herring. This type of chain consists of small, flat links arranged in a V-shaped pattern. The interlocking links make the herringbone chain sturdy and strong, giving it a unique texture.
HOW HERRINGBONE CHAINS ARE MADE:
Herringbone chains are made by interlocking metal links together in a zig-zag pattern. A jeweler can make these links from any type of metal, but gold and silver are the most popular options. You can find herringbone chains in various lengths, but the most popular options are 18-24 inches.
ARE HERRINGBONE CHAINS DURABLE?
CAN A HERRINGBONE CHAIN BE FIXED?
WHAT IS A SNAKE CHAIN?
HOW SNAKE CHAINS ARE MADE:
ARE SNAKE CHAINS DURABLE?
WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENT TYPES OF SNAKE CHAIN?
THE DIFFERENCE: HERRINGBONE VS. SNAKE CHAIN
HOW TO STYLE: HERRINGBONE VS. SNAKE CHAIN
JEWELRY CARE: HERRINGBONE VS. SNAKE CHAIN
A. HERRINGBONE CHAINS
Herringbone styles require handling with care. To keep your herringbone pieces looking their best, you should take the following steps:
- Always lay herringbone styles flat so the flat links don't get misshapen. Remember, herringbone chains are difficult to repair once the links are bent.
- Herringbone chains are not ideal for heavy pendants or charms, so avoid wearing them at all costs! Avoid wearing any accessories that could snag your chain and ruin its delicate design.
- Always remove herringbone chains before going to bed to prevent kinks in the herringbone pattern.
- Herringbone chains must be arranged in a circular, interwinding pattern to prevent kinks when storing.
- When storing jewelry, place your herringbone necklaces in a compartmentalized jewelry box or individual soft fabric pouches to prevent scratching against each other.
- To keep your herringbone chains looking lovely, you should take them off when playing sports or working out. Sweat and salt water can cause corrosion and rust, damaging the links.
- Polish your herringbone chains regularly with a soft, clean cloth. This regular polishing will help remove any skin oils that can cause tarnishing.
B. SNAKE CHAINS
Snake chains require handling with care. To keep your snake chains looking their best, you should take the following steps:
- Avoid anything that could snag on your snake chains, such as loose knits or sharp objects, and cause breakage.
- Do not wear your snake chains while doing heavy labor or exercising. Sweat can affect the metal, and it could weaken the links.
- Store your snake chains in a cool, dry location to prevent damage from humidity or extreme temperatures.
- Polish your snake chains regularly with a soft, clean cloth. This regular polishing will help to remove any skin oils which cause tarnishing.
- Do not use any harsh chemical cleaners on your snake chains. These chemicals can damage your snake chains and cause them to oxidize.
- When storing jewelry, it is important to place snake chains in a compartmentalized jewelry box or individual soft fabric pouches to prevent scratching against each other.