FUN FACTS ABOUT APRIL'S BIRTHSTONE: WHITE TOPAZ
What is white topaz? A beautiful, affordable gemstone that could become your next new obsession. Let’s take a quick look at some interesting facts about beautiful white topaz!
- The name "white topaz" comes from the Greek words tupos, meaning "cut," and aster, meaning "star." Topas in the Spanish language means both “precious stone” and “disorder”. Natives of Bolivia call the white topaz gemstone "white sun", which is a reference to its sparkle.
- The white topaz gem is the official birthstone for December and associated with the zodiac signs of Sagittarius and Gemini. It's thought to bring peacefulness and serenity to its wearer, as well as good luck.
- Associated with the planets Jupiter, Mercury, and Venus, the white topaz birthstone symbolizes hope, affection and peace.
- The white topaz gem is a variety of the mineral, corundum. To be completely white, it consists of almost 100 percent pure aluminum oxide.
- The white topaz birthstone is available in a range of colors, including blue, pink, gray, green-blue, orange, purple and yellow. The purest white topaz can even be colorless.
- White topaz stones are the most common topaz and accounts for 95% of natural topaz production.
- Because of its flawlessness and stunning color, white topaz crystal is sometimes referred to as the “Queen of Gemstones.”
- Topaz grows as a crystal mineral in various granite rocks, and in lava flows.
- White topaz mines exist in Brazil, Burma, Sri Lanka, Thailand and Pakistan.
- As with all gems, the white topaz gem is quite fragile due to its hardness (8-8.5 on the Mohs' scale).
- It is believed that the white topaz gemstone benefits the energetic system of a person. It absorbs and transmutes negative energies into positive ones.
- A 1680 carat colorless topaz is one of the well-known Topaz gemstones ever found in the history of gemology. This white topaz crystal beautifully adorns the Portuguese crown. Initially, thought considered the largest diamond found to date, until its real identity as a Topaz gemstone came out.