December Gemstone: Turquoise Fun Facts
Turquoise are really awesome to look at but they're really interesting too...
- December has two birthstones, turquoise and zircon.
- This gem gets its name from the French words ' pierre turquoise ' which translates into Turkish Stone. Many of the trade routes were through Turkey and local merchants took the opportunity to buy the gems and sell them on local markets.
- Unlike many other gems, turquoise is more opaque than translucent. Its blue-green color can vary from blue or greenish blue to pale green or greenish-green.
- For centuries, the beauty of turquoise has been highly valued in different cultures, from the Persian and Egyptian royalties to the natives of the Americas (North, Central and South America).
- Turquoise is found in Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico, Virginia Utah, California and Nevada. Turquoise is one of the highest value minerals in the world by many collectors and turquoise made in southwest is now known as one of the most valuable in the world.
- It is only found in barren & dry regions.
- Very little jewelry in the market is actually natural turquoise (probably less than 1%).
- Turquoise has many spiritual benefits. It provides not only protection from negativity, but also a clear connection to the purity of natural elements, particularly the elements of water and air.
- In feng shui, turquoise is a beautiful representation of the water element. As such, turquoise's use in feng shui includes remedies to draw wealth and money as well as a treatment to improve one's health and well-being.
- Turquoise is usually associated with the Throat or 5th chakra. This Chakra is the center of communication, creativity, serenity and spiritual bonding.
- Turquoise jewelry requires care. Keep turquoise away from high heat and chemicals such as oils, perfumes, and household cleaners. The constant bombardment of chemicals can affect even stabilized turquoise. Clean your turquoise in warm, lukewarm water and dry it immediately with a soft cloth.. When possible, avoid using commercial jewelry cleaners.