December Gemstone: Turquoise Fun Facts
Stunning blue turquoise stones are really awesome to look at but they're really interesting too! Here are some fun facts about one of our favorite gems.
- December has two birthstones, wonderful blue turquoise and zircon.
- Turquoise crystal gets its name from the French words ' pierre turquoise ' which translates into Turkish Stone. Many of the trade routes were through Turkey and local merchants took the opportunity to buy the gems and sell them on local markets.
- Unlike many other gems, turquoise's stunning blue color is more opaque than translucent. Turquoise's splendorous blue-green color varies from blue or greenish blue to pale green or greenish-green.
- For centuries, the beauty of turquoise gems has been highly valued in different cultures from the Persian and Egyptian royalties to the natives of the Americas (North, Central and South America).
- Magnificent blue turquoise gems are one of the highest value minerals in the world by many collectors and turquoise made in southwest is now known as one of the most valuable in the world. There are literally hundreds of turquoise mines located across the Southwestern United States as well as in Mexico, China, Persia, and Australia.
- Turquoise mines are only found in barren & dry regions.
- Very little jewelry in the market is actually real turquoise (probably less than 1%).
- Splendorous turquoise stones have many spiritual benefits. It provides not only protection from negativity, but also a clear connection to the purity of natural elements, particularly the elements of water and air.
- In feng shui, turquoise magnificent blue color is a beautiful representation of the water element. As such, turquoise gemstone's use in feng shui includes remedies to draw wealth and money as well as a treatment to improve one's health and well-being.
- Turquoise crystals are usually associated with the Throat or 5th chakra. This Chakra is the center of communication, creativity, serenity and spiritual bonding.
- Your wonderful blue turquoise jewelry requires care. Keep turquoise gems away from high heat and chemicals such as oils, perfumes, and household cleaners. The constant bombardment of chemicals can affect even stabilized turquoise. Clean your turquoise jewelry in warm, lukewarm water and dry it immediately with a soft cloth.. When possible, avoid using commercial jewelry cleaners.